Quality - Premium Vegetables
1 red and green chili, 2 red capsicum, 2 green capsicum, 4 green sweet chilli, 2 onion, 1 garlic, 150g mushroom, 4 potato.
Note a product may be substituted due to unavailability. This box can't be customized.
Box by Berries Corner at Queen Victoria Market.
Peperonata is a popular dish from Italy. During summer Italians prepare this tasty recipe to bring to barbecues. It is delicious served over toasted bread and alongside grilled meats.
Although the recipe varies from region to region, peperonata is typically prepared with capers or olives, mint or basil, and can be served warm or cold.
This recipe is the Emilian version, prepared with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar. To make an authentic Emilian peperonata be sure to use only the best quality balsamic vinegar, otherwise the finished dish could be too bitter.
- 6 bell peppers, different colors, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 10 basil leaves
- 200g of tomatoes, diced
- 8 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- bread, warmed through
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan and place over a medium-low heat. Add the garlic, onions and basil and sauté until extremely soft.
- Add the sliced peppers to the pan, stir and cover with a lid. Cook over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until the peppers are very tender, but not mushy as they should still hold their shape. Either season and serve while warm, or allow to cool before finishing and serving
- Just before serving, season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish the peperonata with the balsamic vinegar then serve with warm breads or as a side to a larger feast