Poached Eggs with Spinach & Button Mushrooms
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 teaspoon of light vinegar (rice, white wine or apple cider)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 200g (1 cup) of spinach, chopped
- 2 slices of premium sourdough bread
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of fresh chives
- Bring water to a high simmer in either a deep frypan or saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar.
- In a separate fry pan, spray lightly with oil and heat. Sauté the onion and mushrooms for 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add tomato, spinach, salt and pepper and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- When water comes to a high simmer, add cracked egg. Poach for about 5 minutes, or until whites are firm. Remove from water and place over spinach and vegetable mixture. Garnish with fresh chives and serve with toast.
Note: To increase the protein content of this meal poach additional egg whites. You can also add 1/4 avocado on the side for healthy fats.